Friday, July 15, 2011

Say What? [Crazy Celebrity Baby Names]

One of the current trends seems to be naming your child an outlandish name, especially those who are celebrities.  I for one am not a fan of making my child have a unique and different name.  I believe my child's personality will do that for him.  As William Shakespeare once said "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."  Maybe the reason I have for this is because I have a unique name.  Deitra is not one you will ever find on the top 100 or even top 1000 baby name lists.  I had to deal with people spelling it wrong, pronouncing it incorectly, and the teacher always pausing when she got to my name.  In time I have grown to adjust and ignore.  Anything that remotely sounds like my name, I will answer too.  I think most parents want to have a name that no one has heard or seen that they forget about what a child has to go through with that name.

Recently I read about Kate Hudson's boy, Bingham Hawn, and the Beckham's girl, Harper Sevin, which really got me interested in all the recent names that celebs have decided.  Some more are Natalie Portman's son, Aleph; Ashlee Simpson's son, Bronx Mowgli; and Mariah Carey's son, Moroccan Scott. It seems like this has become overplayed.  They all have a reasoning for it, but I just love a good old simple name.  Let the personality speak for the child, not the name.

Do you have a weird name?  Do you like the unique name trend?

1 comment:

  1. New follower from club clairolista .
    Heres a link to my blog I hope you follow me back.
    http://mommyopinions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete